Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My New (ish) Obsession

Well.... you all know that I love shoes. I 
 
L - O - V - E
 
Shoes. Always have, always will, they're apart of me and who I am sorta thing. Before I left for China I was at approximately 97 pairs of shoes. I am fully aware that this is a little on the ridiculous side. But I can't help it.
(Admitting there is a problem is one of the first steps, right? At least I am on the right track..)
 
This summer I did a really good job of not buying any shoes; I had to save money for China, right? Well, all that hard work has gone down the drain. I am here to admit defeat. I have been sucked in in the worst possible way.
 
China shoes are
ADORABLE.
 
There aren't really words to describe shoe shopping in China. Its amazing, and I am so sad that I will have to leave this shoe heaven. Chinese shoes are MADE for my feet (or at least that's what I tell myself). They always have my small size, and I LOVE it! And, what's even better, is that all the shoes seem to sparkle. No, they aren't all glittery and stuff (though a lot of them are), but they just seem to radiate love and beauty an joy. They sit all delicate and shiny on their little shelves, taunting me and my small wallet. Its TORTURE. And the worse part is, that compared to U.S. pricing, they are SUPER cheap. So, in a way, it is logical to stalk up and buy a lot of nice shoes for an amazing price while I'm here, but I know that I'll still keeping buying shoes wherever I am for the rest of my life. But what's a girl to do?
 
One of the girl's that I teach with, Teresa, gave me this advice:
 
"When in doubt, buy it."
 
I don't think this is good advice for me (or anyone for that matter), but while I am holding that pair of black velvet stilettos with diamond studded heels and embellishments, for the super low price of $10 (American money), it's the only thing running through my head. And it just gets worse when I spot the purple patent leather heels with heart shape diamonds on the toes, or the navy blue ballet flats with black jewels, or.... I can go forever, so I'll just stop there. 
 
It literally causes me pain.
(Okay, maybe not physical pain, but you know what I mean.)
 
I think I've done pretty well for how tempted I have been. I've only bought 10 pairs. (So far)
So I guess this post is dedicated to now having more than 100 pairs of shoes, and also to China, and their wonderful stores that suck me right in. I hope they sell these wonderful shoes online... that would solve everything... haha.

4 comments:

  1. that is AWESOME! do they have any in my size?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always gone by "when in doubt, don't" because obviously you aren't entirely committed to the purchase, so it will be relatively easier to forget that you've left it behind. i'm glad you are getting more heartfelt support in china.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keara
    I'm not sure if your buying a lot of shoes or if I'm buying alot of shoes. Or atleast I'm subsidizing your addictive behavior. it appears to me that this addiction has reared its ugly little head in the form of a shoe overdose. i supose that they make you look even more beautifull. you can guess where my blog name came from. love dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. My land, Keara, I don't know where to start. I just read a LOT of your blog. What fun you're having. I'm sooo excited for you. I want to keep up on everything you're doing when you write about it. Is there a way for you to notify me when you write something, because you know how I forget, even when I want to remember to do something.
    I love your experiences with the children. I'll bet you're good with them. They probably love you sooo much!
    About the little 4 or 5 year olds who can't hold still? It just so happens that just last year I taught that age in Primary. Know what I did to get them to be quiet so I could give the lessons? I kept in my pocket tiny pieces of candy, and when somebody disrupted the lesson, I gave only one to those who were sitting quiet, and complemented them for being so quiet. Then, when the noisey one was good for awhile, I gave everybody a piece and said I was happy they were being good. It was amazing how that worked!
    Well Keara, keep up the good work. Grampa and I are sooo pleased with all you're doing. You make us proud!
    Lots and lots of love,
    Gramma and Grampa

    ReplyDelete