Monday, September 28, 2009

Guangzhou & Foshan!

I realized that I never blogged about the little trip we just had! We had 2 days off of teaching so we decided to take advantage of the long weekend and go on a vacation to Guangzhou and the neighboring town of Foshan. It was WAY cool!
 
In Guangzhou we went to a little island called Shaiman Island. It was settled mostly by foreigners, so we got to see some white people haha. And they have a restaurant there with American food, and it was SO GOOD. I had the best hamburger of my life there....
 
They also have really good shops for souvenirs, so we stalked up! We got lots of jade necklaces and earrings, painted scrolls, caligraphy sets and tons of stuff. We'll probably be going back there haha
 
In Foshan we were able to see a Buddhist temple. It was really pretty. I love the architecture they use. There was a 5 story pagoda that was really cool, and giant silk lanterns. China is awesome.
 
After the temple we visited an ancient alley where they have preserved some of the old housing structures and buildings. This was BY FAR the coolest part of the trip. It felt like we were walking through China a hundred years ago. We were the only ones there so it was really quiet, and it started raining and so the atmosphere was really neat. We got some AMAZING pictures. I just love that place.
 
Our next stop was the Nan Feng Ancient Kiln. This Kiln is over 500 years old, and one of the pottery centers of the world. They told us that its fire has never gone out (but when we walked past it, it didn't look lit lol so make of that what you may). While we were there we were able to sit at a pottery wheel and try and make something out of clay. It was my first experience, and I wasn't very good, but I want to take pottery lessons now! Maybe one day I'll be able to make something.
 
Our trip was a blast. China is amazing. They have such a unique culture that's so different from ours. I love learning about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment